Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Should we keep other people from pain?

Go down 
5 posters

Yes, as much as possible, letting people get hurt is bad.
Should we keep other people from pain? Vote_lcap0%Should we keep other people from pain? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No, they need to learn the truth for themselves.
Should we keep other people from pain? Vote_lcap100%Should we keep other people from pain? Vote_rcap
 100% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
Biomech
Admin
Biomech

Number of posts : 256
About me : Test1
Dislikes : Test3
Registration date : 2008-11-23

Should we keep other people from pain? Empty
PostSubject: Should we keep other people from pain?   Should we keep other people from pain? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 4:18 am

Pain can teach you a lot of things. If you put your hand over a fire you get burnt and you remember not to do it again because it feels bad. Pain only works as a teacher if you try to avoid it next time. Sometimes it helps you to learn the lesson if you know for a fact that fire hurts instead of just going by what someone else has told you.

Knowing that, how much of a responsibility do we have to other people?

We can be the one telling them that the fire hurts but some people will never believe it until they find out for themselves. Should we let them get burnt once to know the truth?
Back to top Go down
https://demonforest.darkbb.com
Nation
Badger
Nation

Number of posts : 177
About me : I'm Nation.
I'm reviving Demonforest with the help of a couple of the other mods.
If your stumbling across the site, Welcome! Join! Talk!
If you've got a question, Drop me a PM.
Should we keep other people from pain? 603935
Dislikes : Liver

PostSubject: Re: Should we keep other people from pain?   Should we keep other people from pain? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:33 am

It depends on the size of the problem at hand.
If someone puts their hand in the fire OBVIOUSLY I'm going to try to stop them. It's unnecessary pain. But if the person asks what would happen if they put their hand in the fire, I'm going to tell them it will burn them. And maybe show that by sitting very close to the fire, and show them how hot THAT is.
But If it's something of a bigger magnitute, like a friend dying or medical problems, I honestly think it takes more than one burn to get what you need from the pain.
And I also don't think I could sit aside and watch someone I love go through pain that I could have prevented.
Back to top Go down
mcr666
Wolverine
mcr666

Number of posts : 321
About me : I'm controversial, but a good person to know.
I'm also pretty dang helpful if i do say so myself, and I have many ideas.
Registration date : 2008-11-24

PostSubject: Re: Should we keep other people from pain?   Should we keep other people from pain? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 1:27 pm

I think you should tell them, and then if they don't listen, they can find out for themselves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.helenabase.forummotion.com
Biomech
Admin
Biomech

PostSubject: Re: Should we keep other people from pain?   Should we keep other people from pain? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 6:53 pm

mcr666 wrote:
I think you should tell them, and then if they don't listen, they can find out for themselves.

Yeah I pretty much agree but I thought it would be more interesting to have more polarized poll options.

So you really have to wonder about some things then...

Some people might say it would be best to make "fire" illegal so that people wouldn't get hurt.

Do you think that's a good idea?

(I'm not literally talking about fire, I'm using it as a metaphor for anything that's "harmful" or dangerous )
Back to top Go down
mcr666
Wolverine
mcr666

Number of posts : 321
About me : I'm controversial, but a good person to know.
I'm also pretty dang helpful if i do say so myself, and I have many ideas.

PostSubject: Re: Should we keep other people from pain?   Should we keep other people from pain? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 8:24 am

I don't think it should be made illegal. And even if it was, just cause something is illegal doesnt mean you wont see it in use anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.helenabase.forummotion.com
Metal
Fox
Metal

Number of posts : 258
Dislikes : Anything other than this site
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Should we keep other people from pain?   Should we keep other people from pain? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 4:03 am

Let people get hurt
Children however I think should be protected from 'some' things
Such as fire, boiling water, power cords, etc.
But if a child wants to stick their hand in the sink while their mother is washing dishes under hot water
Then they will learn their lesson through pain
People also learnt heir lesson after drinking too much or taking drugs
You also learn how to interact and feel through emotional pain
This is something that could be studied
Something that could prove very important
Back to top Go down
Biomech
Admin
Biomech

PostSubject: Re: Should we keep other people from pain?   Should we keep other people from pain? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2008 6:21 am

mcr666 wrote:
I don't think it should be made illegal. And even if it was, just cause something is illegal doesnt mean you wont see it in use anymore.

Yeah..
It gets tricky though.

If drugs for example are illegal then people know they're bad and are less likely to use them since it's against the law.

But at the same time, if they REALLY want to take drugs they will break the law anyway.
Back to top Go down
Jacqueline
Mouse
Jacqueline

Number of posts : 35

PostSubject: Re: Should we keep other people from pain?   Should we keep other people from pain? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 10:34 am

Depending on the situation, I'd say generally no, we should not keep them from pain.
People need to learn for themselves what pain is. & I agree with ID's above argument.

But when it comes to something life threatening or severe, then I believe we should try.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should we keep other people from pain?   Should we keep other people from pain? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1